Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Passion of the Gibson

So, I haven't been a big fan of Mel Gibson's for quite awhile....ever since I met him on the set of "We Were Soldiers" (my father was portrayed in the film), and found him to be something of well...an ass. In the years since then, he has only continued to be less-than-impressive, in my opinion. He refused to denounce his father's rather moronic comments regarding his belief that the Holocaust never happened, on the heels of making a rather anti-semitic film, he gets pulled over for a DUI, and in the process makes some just lovely (read: idiotic and racist) comments to the officers who pulled him over. And, now, after years of claiming what a devout Catholic he is and basically implying that anyone of a differing faith is a heretic, he is divorcing his wife of over 20 years and has proceeded to get his girlfriend pregnant. Now, I am certainly not one to listen to many of the ideas put forth, by many religions, regarding sex, birth control, et al. Nor am I one to knock others for their beliefs, whatever they may be. But, what I do have a problem with is hypocrisy. If Mel Gibson had kept his mouth shut about how devout he was, and always claiming to be such a good, observant Catholic (I know plenty of Catholics who use birth control and have premarital sex, but they also don't go around making other people feel as though they are less than they are), then I wouldn't care for a split second about the fact that he is getting a divorce, or impregnating his girlfriend, before his divorce is even finalized. But....he DID shoot his mouth off, therefore I'm allowed to pass judgement and call him a hypocrite.

And, the envelope of hypocrisy, racism, and overall assholic-ness goes to...Mel Gibson.